Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Tribute to My Heroes

I remember growing up with my brothers and watching super hero cartoons and seeing the amazing powers each super hero possessed. Just as Disney has tricked us into thinking the perfect relationship is one where there is no fighting, constant gentleness and love every second of every day, super hero cartoons and comic books have tricked society into thinking all super heroes wear capes and possess supernatural powers.  I know I speak for all of us when I say, these are not the heroes we see in our lives... ever.  The people we see as heroes are the ones that have influenced our lives in a plethora of positive ways and continue to do so every day. 
Personally, I have two heroes, neither one of them wears a cape or has an amazing super power. Both of them are human and both of them have made me into the person I am today. First let me begin with my Marine.  My Marine has made me such a strong person and helped me to find the person I have dreamed of being since I was a little girl. He truly brings out the best in me and shows me that love is capable of many things. I look up to my Marine in many ways, for he is tough but loving at the same time, funny but serious when he needs to be, comforting but will not sugar coat anything, genuine, honest and loyal. I am proud of the man I have watched him become over the past few years, and proud of the woman I have become as I support him through his military career.  
You know how people say you will date a man that is like your father? Well it is true. My Marine resembles my father in so many ways, which brings me to my next hero, my dad. My dad is a retired Colonel in the Army. He raised me like I was one of his cadets with fatherly affection, of course.  He is someone I look up to for guidance, advice, life lessons, really anything. My father has showed me how hard life can be, but how important it is to keep pushing on and look forward to the future. He has shown me that getting help is okay, that helping others is as important as helping yourself and no one deserves to be disrespected. My dad is an amazing person that has been through so much to reach his current place in life. I am proud of him and all of his accomplishments. I only hope to be the female version of him one day!
These two men have shown me that a hero is human. A hero is someone that makes mistakes, apologizes, gets back up and keeps moving on and enjoying life. My Marine and my dad are two men in my life that will never leave, will always support and love me as I support and love them, and will always show me how important it is to be yourself, love yourself, respect yourself and never let something defeat you. I owe so much to these two men, they are my heroes, my best friends and the loves of my life (in different ways, of course).
I don't know how else to say this to you two, but thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment